ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Alternatives to TSM

2009-02-26 20:09:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Alternatives to TSM
From: "Clark, Robert A" <Robert.Clark AT PROVIDENCE DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:02:42 -0800
At one of the shops I was in, TSM maintenance cost expectation was set
by "competitive takeout pricing". When maintenance renewal time came
around, and we fell out of the original pricing lock, the price
difference was a shock.

In fairness though, I also needed to renew maintenance on Symantec
Netbackup not too long ago. The only way I could get a discount off
list, was to get a general corporate software discount through Dell.
(About 4% IIRC.)

Back in 2008, the consensus was that 2009 would be a down year. With
net-new and expansion sales being so far down, I'm not surprised
everyone is trying to get every renewal dollar they can.

Even people who jump ship and move from one product to another are
generating new revenue.

What a time to bring something like TSM 6.x to market! When will the
price go up to offset all the new features?

[RC]