ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform

2009-02-26 11:25:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:23:31 -0700
We have had a couple of customers over the years running TSM on Solaris.  I
must echo Mike's comments. As Solaris would optimistically finish third in IBMs
race for resources there will necessarily be fewer resources both on the
development and support side.  If/when there are problems they will be solved
more slowly than on the Windows or AIX. I guess I would enter the TSM on
Solaris world with caution. That said, I have found that if you are a very good
Solaris person, the issues are much easier to solve as you can often walk the
IBM resource through the problem. But it will take more of your time if there
is a problem.

The most prevalent issues we have seen are integrating with libraries and
drives as you would expect. Perhaps if you stay with IBM tape products these
problems would be less?  Who knows.

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.