ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Alternatives to TSM

2009-02-24 14:40:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Alternatives to TSM
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:39:10 -0600
We are just finishing a Proof of Concept on Avamar, EMC's deduplication
offering.  We have not made the decision to purchase, but the testing
went very well.

It is better than most deduplication appliances because it actually has
it's own backup client, so you can eliminate TSM licenses and shrink
your TSM environment as you deploy it.  Along with Unix, Windows, and
Linux clients, it has special clients for Oracle RMAN, SQL, Exchange,
etc.

We do not have a goal to eliminate TSM entirely, but it is growing
rapidly and Avamar will contain the growth with better efficiency than
buying more regular disk and tape.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Phone: 314-364-3150