ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] HELP! wrapping my non-dba brain around MS SQL, SQL server management studio and TSM TDP for Dbs...

2009-02-23 14:00:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] HELP! wrapping my non-dba brain around MS SQL, SQL server management studio and TSM TDP for Dbs...
From: "Laughlin, Lisa" <Lisa.Laughlin AT OA.MO DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:58:32 -0600
Hi guys and gals....

I am trying to find definitive documentation (or at least authoritative)
on how to set up a SQL server that is MSCS & SQL clustered, full
recovery mode, and has transactional logging on to run nicely with TDP.
I had the TDP running and working, but the DBAs were using the mgmt
studio to manage SQL, and I am guessing that some of the routines that
they were using for restores were calling for t-logs that TSM/TDP had
also done something with-or that is the best explanation I could come up
with.  (Let me emphasize that I am not a SQL DBA).  I told them I'd turn
off the TDP and they could resume their testing.  (Bear in mind, I don't
think they ever read any of the TDP for SQL documentation I provided for
them-I don't think they want to learn another tool).  They had no more
issues with missing t-logs (or whatever it was- I asked for logs and or
error messages, but I never got any).   Then, they wanted me to stop SQL
and do cold backups of the filesystems.  So I created the pre & post
schedule commands that off lined the clustered SQL services, performed
the cold filesystem backup, and then brought them back up.  Now it seems
that with production (this is pre-prod) they don't want the down time,
so we are back to the TDP.  I asked them if just backing up the exports
(right word) or the .BAKs from the Mgmt studio would be enough and I was
told that they didn't use the .BAK files for that.  Or something else
like that that I didn't fully understand (admittedly, I got a little
aggravated and asked them why they were even creating them then....but
did I mention I am not a DBA???)

If I use the TDP-should I just do a full hot nightly (and they can
manage the t-logs and roll-forward themselves with the SQL Mgmt. Studio)
or do I do the difffull and backup the logs with the /truncate=no....or
what????

HELP!!
thanks!
lisa