ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for SQL don't truncate the logs

2009-02-19 08:34:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for SQL don't truncate the logs
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:30:21 -0500
Christian,

This is normal and correct behavior.

In the SQL Server "Full Recovery" model, in order to truncate log,
you must run a log backup.

You will see that in the Microsoft docs and the DP/SQL User's Guide.
Here is an excerpt from the Microsoft documentation:

---
     Transaction Log Truncation

          If log records were never deleted from the transaction log, it
would
          eventually fill all the disk space that is available to the
physical
          log files. Log truncation automatically frees disk space
          for reuse by the transaction log.

     Except when delayed for some reason, log truncation occurs
automatically
     as follows:

         * Under the simple recovery model, after a checkpoint.
         * Under the full recovery model or bulk-logged recovery model,
           after a log backup, if a checkpoint has occurred since the
           previous backup.
---

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/19/2009
08:15:36 AM: