ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] What to do about all the extra copies from RMAN duplex?

2009-02-16 12:26:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] What to do about all the extra copies from RMAN duplex?
From: "Conway, Timothy" <Timothy.Conway AT JBSSA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:24:35 -0700
I have set up the extra management classes in my RMAN domain, put the
"TDPO_MGMT_CLASS_[234]" entries into the tdpo.opt files, and am waiting
for my DBAs to set BACKUP_TAPE_IO_SLAVES to true and restart, and I'm
going to have roughly twice as much RMAN data coming from a small
selection of my nodes. Like everyone else, I'm getting "Save every
version of everything forever" along with "Why do you need so many
tapes?". So, I would like to do something about the extra copies. Does
anyone have a trick for dumping the extras? Is it perhaps a feature of
tdposync(it should be)?

It's worth the extra space taken up, in order to quit having our crappy
WAN waste big backups, but if I can make the process, or its end result,
more efficient, I'd like that.

73,

Tim Conway
Unix sysadmin, TSM admin