ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Client GUI hanging at initializing

2009-02-12 15:52:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Client GUI hanging at initializing
From: Steve Stackwick <sstackwick AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:49:38 -0500
Thanks, Richard:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Richard Sims <rbs AT bu DOT edu> wrote:

> As Andy says, "The command line is your friend."  It can be used for
> comparison testing, starting with basic interactions such as 'dsmc
> query session', and working upward to B/A operations as needed.  You

dsmc query session hangs, too

> mention the command line hanging, but then also talk about opening a
> window, so are you really talking about dsmj?  If really dsmc,
> consider client tracing with that more straightforward case.

> Which flavor of "GUI" is it?  Web type client or dsmj?  If the former,
> check for any problem indications in dsmerror.log and dsmwebcl.log.
> If the latter, don't overlook all the issues that one can have with
> Java.  Java was supposed to be the universal, runs-anywhere facility,
> but it suffered a lot of schizophrenia in the history of its
> development, where any number of problems can prevail - not the least
> of which is its heavy demand on memory resources, all the more
> problematic in a computer which already has a good workload.

Does the Window dsm command use Java? That, and the dsmc command line, are
what is hanging. Interestingly, after I manually created a dsm.opt
(remember, this was a new Windows install and all I wanted to do was
configure a dsm.opt), the dsmadmc admin client works just fine, so it's
*not* a connectivity issue.

--
Stephen Stackwick
Jacob & Sundstrom, Inc.