ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Is TDP for Oracle LAN/Server free?

2009-02-05 03:21:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Is TDP for Oracle LAN/Server free?
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:20:00 +0100
On Thursday 05 February 2009, Mehdi Salehi wrote:
> Hi,
> Correct me if I am mistaken:
> 1- Tivoli Data Protection for Oracle (TDPO) sends RMAN backup to storage
> pools via SAN (it is LAN-free).
It depends.  It is the TSM API (not the normal TSM backup client) that
receives the data for rman.  It sends the data over the LAN or the SAN to the
TSM server depending on how you configure it.

> 2- LAN-free mechanism of TDPO is automatic, as long as the TSM and Oracle
> server are on the same SAN. I mean, there is no additional configuration
> needed to enable LAN-free cabability.
No, you need to configure the TSM API for SAN based backup.  Also some
configuration on the SAN and TSM server must be done.  A SAN backup is also
going directly to tape.

> 3- RMAN does not affect the Oracle server CPU usage and I/O activity.
No, the data has to be written and processed so there is extra CPU usage and
lots of extra (read) I/O activity.

Stef