ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] RES: Backing up BlackBoard servers with "illegal characters" in filenames

2009-02-03 14:20:43
Subject: [ADSM-L] RES: Backing up BlackBoard servers with "illegal characters" in filenames
From: Paul van Dongen <Paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 16:15:00 -0300
As Richard Sims nicely (as usual) explained in a previous reply, it is very
likelly to be connected to a language/character set issue.

I had this problem on two of my customers, where file names with accented
characters (the clients were Linux file servers with Samba) created by the
end-users would cause this.

Solutions for me was simple. For the scheduled backups (dsmcad, since I was
using MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE), I created a smal shell containing
just two lines:

export LANG=pt_BR    # Since the problem was related to Brazilian Portuguese
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmcad

And this shell would be started at system startup, instead of dsmcad.

Paul Gondim van Dongen
IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
    Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2006, 2007 & 2008
IBM Certified Deployment Professional - ITWS 8.2
IBM Certified Storage Administrator - ITSM V5.4
IBM Certified Solution Advisor - Tivoli Storage 2008
SNIA Certified Professional
ITIL Foundation Certified
VANguard
Value Added Network guardian