ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Another question about backing up a filesystem with a large number of files.

2009-01-30 12:02:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Another question about backing up a filesystem with a large number of files.
From: David Jelinek <David.Jelinek AT CMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:01:36 -0500
I have a filesystem on a windows server that has a very large
number of files in it.
I have been using journaling with some success until now. The
problem is that once journaling is turned off for whatever
reason, a full incremental backup is required before journaling
can be used again. Even with memoryefficientbackup set to yes
TSM runs out of memory if it is other than an initial backup.

I tried dividing up the filesystem with commands like:

dsmc incr "e:\blackboard\courses\a*" -subdir=yes
dsmc incr "e"\blackboard\courses\b*" -subdir=yes

but the backup seems to take forever for a single one of these
commands. I have dsm.opt set to exclude all domains.

My question is, if I delete or rename the old filespace and then
try these backups. I know that the first time they will simply
backup everything. Will they set things up on the TSM server so
that subsequent backups will work against the divided filespaces
and thus run a little quicker?

TSM server is 5.3.1.3 on AIX
TSM client is 5.3.5.6
Windows is Server 2003