ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDP for Mail: Verify which backup type clears the logs?

2009-01-30 10:09:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDP for Mail: Verify which backup type clears the logs?
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:07:41 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I have just configured TDP for Mail on 2 Exchange CCR clusters and so far
so good.  My question is other than full backups, can an incremental
backup backup and delete the log files on an Exchange server?  I found the
following within the manual, but the reason I am questioning the
functionality is that I had an IBM representative in to help with the
configuration and they told me the only way to have the logs cleared would
be to complete a full backup.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Data Protection for Exchange provides five types of backup:
Full Backup (Legacy and VSS)
A full backup backs up the specified storage group, as well as associated
transaction logs. The Exchange Server deletes the committed log files
after the storage group and logs are successfully checked for integrity
and backed up. The log files are not deleted if storage groups are not
mounted.
Incremental Backup (Legacy only)
|An incremental backup |backs up only transaction logs. The Exchange
Server deletes the committed |log files after they are successfully backed
up. These log files are |not deleted if the backup fails. Restoration of
an Exchange Server storage |group from an incremental backup requires the
following tasks: | |

Restore of the last full backup |
Restore of any other incremental backups performed between the full backup
|and this incremental backup |
Restore of this incremental backup
The log files are not deleted if storage groups are not mounted.

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com