ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM Windows client and system files that are compressed

2009-01-23 11:00:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM Windows client and system files that are compressed
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:59:37 -0500
We recently moved 2-2K3 based clients to a different TSM server.  For some
unknown reason, one of the 2-servers backups started failing when
performing the system-state backup with an "ANS5280E Object Enumeration"
failure.

Upgraded the client from 5.5.04 to 5.5.10, the latest.  Still no go.  Did
a complete uninstall, deleted the install directory, reinstalled clean.
Still fails.

When we do a manual backup of just the C/D local drives - works fine.

When we do a manual backup of the system-state, after chuging for a while,
it fails.  When we looked at the list of files it has problems with, 2-are
listed as "access" problems. The others are listed as "missing".  We
started checking the list of "missing" files, which happen to be in the
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory and saw that they were there but were
Windows "compressed". (We don't understand why they are compressed since
the server has plenty of disk space and are researching this.)

But my issue is why it fails on "compressed" system files?

We are also puzzled why moving the nodes (export to server) would cause
this on 1-of the 2-moved?  The 2-TSM servers are at the same level,
5.5.2.0 and the client wasn't changed during the move.  The only
difference in the clients is the one that works is 5.3 (and will be
upgraded).

Does the Windows client not handle "compressed" files? If so, where is
this documented and/or is there a way around this?