ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Archive script for selected directory names

2009-01-22 12:58:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Archive script for selected directory names
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:57:23 -0500
Instead of trying to deal with the naming convention of the directories, I
would create an archive file list by simply doing a file search for any
file/directory that is older than 90 days.  I'm sure you can find a
windows version of "gnu find" that can do this.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
robben.leaf AT USBANK DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
01/22/2009 12:34 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Archive script for selected directory names

Hello All,

I've got a customer who uses a NAS as a repository for various log files
from many servers. These log files are organized by server, then by year
and month in the directory structure on the file space. For example, any
log file from July of 2008 will be in a directory called
...\servername\y08\m07\. New servers will have their logs added to this
share without notice, in various places on the directory tree, but the log
directory naming convention will be consistent.

This customer requires monthly archives of all log files that are older
than 90 days. Once archived, the log files will be deleted - sort of a
poor man's HSM. The -deletefiles parameter in the TSM ARCHIVE command will
work for this. Note: NDMP does not support archives, or backups of
specific selected data, so this must be done via CIFS or NFS - I've got
that covered.

Due to corporate standards, the archive job will not be scheduled with
TSM, but rather with a third-party solution (Autosys).

I'm trying to write a script (a Windows batch file) that will figure out
what month it is and archive all - and only - the directories for the log
files from 4 months ago.

The problem I'm having is that the ellipses wildcard (\...\) for directory
specification cannot be used in the ARCHIVE command itself - it can only
be used for INCLUDE and EXCLUDE statements in the option file.

I can compensate for this by having the script rewrite the option file
each month with the right includes and excludes, but then the ARCHIVE
command gets effectively run from the command line - overriding the option
file's includes and excludes, even using INCLUDE.ARCHIVE and
EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE.

I can't figure out a way to get the ARCHIVE command to do its archives on
only, and all, the directories from one specific month.

This doesn't necessarily have to be done from a Windows server, though I'm
not real speedy with my unix shell scripting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Robben Leaf

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications
privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you
are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally
prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise
disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the
sender that you have received this communication in error, and then
immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.