ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] JR- restore client data from offsite tape

2009-01-21 15:08:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] JR- restore client data from offsite tape
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:06:03 -0500
I assume this is a one-time type test you are doing with your test TSM, you
have the offsite tapes available to you, and you've configured your test TSM
tape drives to the point that you know you can mount a tape from the test
TSM.  You're already done with the hard parts!

Do these actions on the TEST TSM server:

1) Check the offsite tapes into your test library with your test TSM.

2) Update their status from OFFSITE to READONLY on the test TSM.You can do
it lots of ways, but it's fastest to do:

update vol * wherestgpool=offsitepoolname whereaccess=offsite
access=readonly

repeat for each offsite/copy tape pool.

3) Update the status of the onsite tapes on the test TSM server to DESTROYED
(not to worry, it doesn't actually destroy anything):

update vol * wherestgpool=onsitepoolname access=DESTROYED

repeat for each onsite tape pool

Now from your test TSM server's point of view, the primary pool tapes are
unavailable to it, and the copy pool tapes are checked in and mountable.

4) pick a client.  change the dsm.opt file to point to the TCPSERVERADDRESS
of your test TSM server.

Start a restore.  When the primary tape is marked DESTROYED or UNAVAILABLE,
the TSM server automatically looks for a copy pool tape to mount, if there
is one available (i.e., not marked offsite).  Monitor the TSM activity log
to verify that all the tapes being mounted, are coming from the copy pool.
If so, success!

If you changed the name of the test tsm instance with the SET SERVERNAME
command, you'll have to reenter the client password when you start the
restore.  If you don't know the client password, you'll have to reset it on
the test TSM server so you can connect.  (In a real DR, don't change the TSM
servername with SET SERVERNAME; you'll avoid the password issues.)

That's it!