ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Unexpected behavior - Win2k3, TSM 5.4, NTFS permissions

2009-01-21 10:07:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Unexpected behavior - Win2k3, TSM 5.4, NTFS permissions
From: Mark Stapleton <Mark.Stapleton AT CDW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:06:58 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Kinder, Kevin P
I haven't used the following two features in combination yet, so a
question:

If I were backing up using subfile and collocation, would this alleviate
the problem of the subfile backups being spread over many volumes?

Marginally. You'd still have to wander an individual tape (or tapes) to pick up
all the deltas that the subfile process created. This will greatly delay
restores, particularly large restores of many small files. Also, remember the
file size restrictions enforced by subfile work.

As I mentioned earlier, adaptive subfile backup technology was originally
designed to accommodate small-ish backups coming through narrow WAN pipes. In
the meantime, collocation will increase tape volume usage, overall tape
traffic, and daily migration and reclamation processes.

As is always true in life, you end up having to rob Peter to pay Paul.

--
Mark Stapleton
System engineer, CDW