ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question on automated data move for tapes not accessed for a certain time

2009-01-07 20:02:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question on automated data move for tapes not accessed for a certain time
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:48:29 +1100
Bjorn

Are you sure that you need to do this?   Modern tapes are much more
reliable than their predecessors.  I went looking for some specifications
and it states at http://nle.ch/dl/LTO.pdf  that the archival life of LTO1,2
and 3 tapes is 15-30 years.  If that is so, then there is no need to copy
data to new tapes until at least 10 years has passed, assuming that they
have been stored in the correct environment.  You will probably have had to
make a new copy because of a change in tape technology in that time-frame.

The best housekeeping is the one you don't have to do,

Regards

Steve.

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Sydney Australia

             Bjørn Nachtwey
             <[email protected]
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     [ADSM-L] Question on automated data
                                       move for tapes not accessed for a
                                       certain time
             08/01/2009 12:53
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Dear all,

looking at LAST_WRITE_DATE or LAST_READ_DATE of my tapes (some are in
2004), I'd like to move the data of tapes last accessed more than one
year to other tapes in the same storage pool to verify the health of the
tapes.

Is there any function inside TSM doing this automaticly?

if not, does anyone know / have a tool doing this?

my first attemp was to write a shell script extracting the tape's names
from the TSM-DB and run a MOVE DATA, but making this nice (e.g. like the
reclamation), it seems to become complex :-(

Second, how often should I move the data? once a year, more or less often?

thanks & best regards,

Bjørn

Dipl.-Ing. Bjørn Nachtwey
Technische Universität Carolo-Wilhelmina zu Braunschweig
Gauss-IT-Zentrum (GITZ) -- Abteilung Server
Hans-Sommerstraße 56,  38106 Braunschweig
Telephon: +49 (0)531 / 391 - 5535
TeleFax:  +49 (0)531 / 391 - 5549
Mobil:    +49 (0)163 / 639   4804
http://www.tu-braunschweig.de/it
mailto:            b.nachtwey AT tu-bs DOT de
mailto:            c0034031 AT tu-bs DOT de
PGP-Schluessel:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~nachtwey/bjoern_nachtwey.asc
PGP-Fingerprint:
B472 526A A903 4AEB 9269 EC0B 9CDE 7465 CE87