ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Greetings & request for help

2009-01-07 08:25:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Greetings & request for help
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:24:20 -0500
Ralph, I think you are on to something.

The way TSM works, if there is more than one management class with the
same highest RETONLY value, then the management class name whose name is
highest in sort order (ascending A -- Z), then that is the one picked for
directories.

When NTFS security attributes are removed from the backup picture, the
directories probably do not appear changed, so no attempt is made to back
them up.

When NTFS security attributes are included for backup, there are probably
one or more directories that appear changed. When TSM tries to back them
up to a pool with no available storage, you get the "out of storage space"
error.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/07/2009
08:08:09 AM:

> [image removed]
>
> AW: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Greetings & request for help
>
> Bethke, Ralph
>
> to:
>
> ADSM-L
>
> 01/07/2009 08:13 AM
>
> Sent by:
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>
> Dear Yudi,
>
> might not solve your problem but there are a few things which need
> to be discussed:
>
> 1)
> All backup copy groups have exactly the same (default?) retention
> settings. Therefore I can not see any reason why you have setup
> different management classes.
>
> 2)
> There is one backup copy group which refers to a non-existing or non
> "readwrite" storagepool named WEEKLY_DISK_POOL.
> Any backup using that management class will most-likely fail unless
> there is a valid and writable "Next Storage Pool" defined for that
> primary storage pool
>
> 3)
> TSM stores directory tree information first as far as I know.
> In order to make sure that directory tree metadata information will
> be available as long as there is valid backup data, TSM will by
> default use the management class with the logest retetion period to
> store directory information. In theory if all management classes
> have the same retention levels it should store the directory
> information with the same management class which is used during a
> backup session to store the actual files.
> Wonder if it happens in your case that TSM selects the inappropriate
> MC for directory information and therefore fails (e.g. tries to
> backup that data into the WEEKLY_DISK_POOL).
> Please (only for test purpose) add the following line to your
> dsm.opt and retry backup:
>
> DIRMC DAILY_MC
>
> This will force TSM to use a specific management class for directory
> information.
>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards
>
> Ralph Bethke

Class
>   AIN
> BTPN_DOM-     ACTIVE        MONTHLY_-     No            Monthly
> Management Class
>   AIN                         MC
> BTPN_DOM-     ACTIVE        WEEKLY_MC     No            Weekly
> Management Class
>   AIN
> BTPN_DOM-     BTPN_PS       DAILY_MC      Yes           Daily Management
Class
>   AIN
> BTPN_DOM-     BTPN_PS       MONTHLY_-     No            Monthly
> Management Class
>   AIN                         MC
> BTPN_DOM-     BTPN_PS       WEEKLY_MC     No            Weekly
> Management Class
>   AIN

> Thanks a lot, and Best Regards,
>
>   Yudi Darmadi
>   PT. Niagaprima Paramitra
>   Jl. Ahmad Dahlan No. 25 Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta Selatan 12130
Indonesia
>   Phone : +62 21 72799949; Fax : +62 21 72799950; Mobile : +62 819 055
30830
>   http://www.niagaprima.com
>
> Quoting "Bethke, Ralph" <ralph.bethke AT MGI DOT DE>:
>
> > Dear Yudi,
> >
> > is it possible to provide more information like an excerpt of the
> > activity log on the TSM server from the failing backup session?
> > Please also provide the following information:
> >
> > dsm.opt file of the client
> > Output of "q copy * active f=d"
> > Output of "q copy * active f=d t=a"
> > Output from "q mgmt"
> >

> > Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards
> >
> > Ralph Bethke
> >

> Geschaeftsfuehrung/Management Board: Heinz-Josef Boeck
> (Vorsitzender/CEO), Heike Schneberger, Dr. Dirk Toepfer, Dr. Gerd
Wolfram