ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 --> 6.0 (server)

2008-12-22 15:18:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 --> 6.0 (server)
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:16:23 -0500
We'll see what transition steps are actually required once the 6.1
announcement is made.  Many customers (most?) are not at the 5.5
level; and having to establish that level before going on to 6 will be
a major hassle, if it is imposed, where IBM would have to commit to
making the 5.5 level available for an extended period, and customers
would have to acquire it, however briefly.  And I would not want to be
in TSM Support when the 6.x problem reports start coming in and they
have to fully ascertain what may have transpired within the customer
stay at the 5.5 level before going on to 6, which may have contributed
to the problems.

If this is a TSM database preparedness step, it would make FAR more
sense for IBM to create a legacy database conversion utility rather
than require the major work involved in trodding through 5.5 territory
as a circuitous route to 6.x land.

   Richard Sims