ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM Syposium 2009

2008-12-19 12:07:05
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM Syposium 2009
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:05:26 +0000
Hi,

many of you on this list have contacted us at Oxford in the last few months
about the arrangements for the bi-annual TSM Symposium in 2009. We have
been a bit coy about committing ourselves to this event for a number of
reasons, not least that Sheelagh, the driving force behind the previous
Symposia, has retired. Additionally, we can no longer so easily rely on
the local administrative support that was offered in the past and that
forms a major part of putting on the event. This means that the
administrative and logistical demands will be too high on our small team
(even with the in-house experience we now have) and we therefore have to
announce, with considerable regret, that we will not be able to host the
TSM Symposium next year.

However, we have been in discussion with other educational establishments
regarding this and the happy result is that Claus Kalle at the Computing
Centre at the University of Cologne ( aka the RRZK - Regionales
Rechenzentrum Koln ) Germany has agreed to host the event in Sept 2009.

More precise details are not yet available but we wanted to inform you as
soon as possible of at least the probable future existence of the event
so that you yourselves can pencil in appropriate plans. We'd like to take
the opportunity of thanking Claus for taking on this task, as well as
Kirsten Gloeer at the University of Heidelberg for her help and
cooperation.

I'll leave Claus to make formal, further announcements, when he has them.
We at Oxford hope that we can offer him and his team as much assistance as
possible and I'm sure many of you will join us in contributing to a really
first-class event.

Finally, just to be clear, we also hope to stage the event again in the
future - but just not in 2009.

Regards
Ian Smith
& the TSM team at Oxford, England