ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Windows laptop restore advice needed

2008-12-17 11:55:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Windows laptop restore advice needed
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:53:50 +0100
On 17 dec 2008, at 17:48, Nicholas Rodolfich wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks for your help!!

I am primarily a server guy with a UNIX background so I am light on
the
Windows platform as it relates to client backup/restore. Our
organization
has about 50 laptops (mostly XP pro) that we need to backup so that
we can
restore  them during drive failure issues or laptop upgrades. We
seem to be
having more and more drive failure since the SATA drives have
proliferated
into the market. The majority of our laptop fleet is primarily
remote to
our office. I hope to be able to provide a solution where we can
have users
take a backup of their laptop when they are in the office every
other week
or so. That way when we do have a drive failure or someone gets a
laptop
refresh they don't have to totally recreate their laptop's working
environments. Currently the  windows guys are starting over completely
using the recovery CDs supplied by the vendor (Lenovo) but just
feeding the
6 CDs is a 4 hours deal.

My question leans toward the whole backup/restore process. What is the
easiest/best way to backup and restore these laptops. I was thinking
of
using the TSM image capabilities but reading up on it seems like
there are
several prerequisites to making it work. Maybe Christie BMR, or
Fastback
but Fastback requires the MS AIK, another server, etc..  I can and
have
read much  doc on the subject but I would prefer some empirical
knowledge
from those who really know before I start banging my head against
the wall.
Any advice rendered would be greatly appreciated.

look into a great TSM product, CDP for files, it's the ideal solution
for your needs.

Thanks Again!!

Nicholas

--