ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Setting up crossbackup datacenters with TSM

2008-12-12 08:24:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Setting up crossbackup datacenters with TSM
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:24:23 -0500
Rolf,
    I am sure the tape library can handle the data load.  Where most
problems happen is in the communications between the data centers.

   If your data centers are 200KM apart and connected by a 1Gbps link,
your bottleneck is the WAN link due to latency, cost and competition
with other data transmissions on that link such as normal client
operations, device mirroring operations and database operations. In this
case you will want to take a very hard look at what you are attempting
to achieve and consider options such as increasing data mirroring
between storage devices for protection and then backing that mirror up
locally.  You could also do as others have recommended recommend, as do
I - backup locally and ship copy media offsite with the TSM server DB
backup both locally and to the remote site using virtual volumes.

   If your datacenters are close - i.e. 100M, and connected on you local
ethernet and there is no competition for bandwidth between the buildings
with other devices, you should have few problems with a normal setup.
You would also want to backup the TSM server DB to the other TSM server
in this case also.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.