ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Library manager oversubscription

2008-12-10 16:18:27
Subject: [ADSM-L] Library manager oversubscription
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:16:59 -0500
I support a TSM server running under mainframe Linux. The database
has been growing at varying rates since we installed TSM. We are
starting to think about splitting the workload between two TSM
servers if there is a major growth spurt before we upgrade to 6.1
(we are currently at 5.4.2.0). If we did this we would set up a
third server to act as a library manager for the other two. We
would want to be able to adjust the number of tape drives available
to each server to adjust to variations in the workload. This would
be done by adjusting the mountlimit settings for the tape device
classes. What would happen if we made a mistake in this process
and ended up with the servers collectively requesting more tape
drives than actually exist?