ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DR with VCB file backup?

2008-12-10 04:14:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DR with VCB file backup?
From: Otto Schakenbos <oschakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:13:10 +0100
Hi,

we have been using the following method, here the rough steps:
create a new empty vm with sufficient resources.
boot this vm using bartpe, partition and format your os installation drive. (c:) boot again using bartpe. if your bartpe does not have the latest level of the tsm client you can map a drive over the network to the latest level of the tsm client.
configure the dsm.opt file with the nodename you wish to restore
restore all files to the c-drive
now boot from the windows installation media and into the recovery console. Run fixmbr and fixboot

Now the box should come up by itself.

Have fun

Otto Schakenbos
Teleflex ERP Operations

TEL: +49-7151/502 8468
FAX: +49-7151/502 8489
MOBILE: +49-172/7102715
E-MAIL: oschakenbos AT teleflex DOT com

TFX Holding GmbH
Corporate IT Europe
Willy-Rüsch-Str. 4-10
71394 Kernen i.R.

HRB 263273 AG Stuttgart
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Wagner

www.teleflex.com

Stephan Boldt wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am wondering if you can fully restore a destroyed virtual machine which
has been file-backed-up with VCB? For example, I have a Windows fileserver
and back up all it's files via VCB into TSM. Now let's say a dumb admin
deletes the SAN-LUN on which the VMFS resides... ;-) When I install a plain
new Windows VM, install the TSM client there and do a full restore of the
Server's data onto it's virtual disks, would the restore be successfull? Is
the server bootable afterwards or do some system files have to be on some
"special" locations on the disk which TSM doesn't honour for example?

kind regards,
Stephan