ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Reclamation doesn't always respect duration

2008-12-05 18:19:42
Subject: [ADSM-L] Reclamation doesn't always respect duration
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:18:12 -0600
Greeetings,
    We are running TSM server 5.4.3 on an AIX 5.3ML5 server.  We have
some scripts that issue reclaim commands as soon as the backup db,
prepare, and expire inventory are run.  They calculate how many minutes
are left until 11pm, then issues the "reclaim" command with "duration"
set to the number of minutes left.  The reason for this is to free up
the tape drives so that there are drives for NDMP backups.
    But every week or two, we will have a situation where TSM doesn't
seem to respect the "duration" parameter, and the reclamation runs for
hours longer than it is supposed to.  For example, it started yesterday
at 11:16 with a duration of 704 minutes (less than 12 hours), so it
should have stopped around 11pm, but instead it didn't finish until 6
hours later than that.  Have any of you seen this symptom?

12/04/08 11:16:27     ANR2017I Administrator EXTSCRIPT issued command:
RECLAIM
                       STGPOOL SUN2079-COPYPOOL1 TH=80 DU=704 WAIT=YES

                       (SESSION: 707151)

12/05/08 04:52:17     ANR4936I Reclamation of storage pool
SUN2079-COPYPOOL1 has
                       ended. Files reclaimed: 277996, Bytes reclaimed:

                       312142845549, Files reconstructed: 35651,
Unreadable
                       files: 0. (SESSION: 707151)

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Lead Systems Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health Systems
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO  63127
Phone: 314-364-3150
Cell: 314-750-8721
Email:  John.Schneider AT Mercy DOT net

This e-mail contains information which (a) may be PROPRIETARY IN NATURE OR
OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) is intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the addressee, or the
person responsible for delivering this to the addressee(s), you are notified
that reading, copying or distributing this e-mail is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately.