ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Maintenance Processes - Scheduling optimization

2008-12-03 16:27:52
Subject: [ADSM-L] Maintenance Processes - Scheduling optimization
From: "Conradt, Jeremy" <JConradt AT ASHLEYFURNITURE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:25:01 -0600
I have recently forced myself to admit we have a major flaw in our
backup system.  What was happening and may be happening to many other
people is we had maintenance processes, reclaims, migrations and so on
happening on fileclass volumes after or even during the database backup.
The problem with this is if the database were to crash or corrupt after
its backup any maintenance work that happened after the beginning of the
backup will cause issues with the recovery.

For example X file exists on Filevolume1 at the beginning of the
database backup but after the backup migration or reclamation moves it
to Filevolume2.  The database corrupts we restore the database which
doesn't know anything about Filevolume2 and now it can't find
Filevolume1 which forces us to restore Filevolume1 from offsite.
Basically just a lot of work to get everything back in sync.

I have been working on trying to get all of our backup stg, migrate stg
and reclaim stg to run in a single script sequentially but there is
insufficient time in the day to complete successfully.  We end up
overlapping into the next backup window which just slows everything
down.
The Copy pool "Offsite" tapes are fine because I have the stg set with a
delay period of 1 day but I don't want to tie up file volume space for a
day if I don't have to.
I am wondering if anyone has worked their way through this issue and
developed a good set of scripts to get everything running cleanly and in
proper order.

System Stats
TSM Server version 5.3.5
Windows 2003 SP2

1.1 TB Disk pool 15K Fiber channel san disk with DISK class volumes
    Files smaller than 3GB are backed up to this location.
    This pool is migrated to 0% every day.

3 TB file class volumes on 10K Fiber Channel san disk
    Files larger than 3GB are backed up to this location.
    This pool is migrated to 50% every day.

43 TB file class volumes on multiple disk drives primarily SATA.
    Long term storage or data.

In general we have about 32 TB of regular backup data and about 60 TB of
Archive data on tape.
We back up approximately 2 TB of data daily.
At this time all of our backup data remains on disk.

If anyone has any questions about how we have anything setup and working
please let me know.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve any problems they see in
our system please let me know.
Thanks,
Jeremy