ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Why would I need an auditdb?

2008-11-28 17:52:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why would I need an auditdb?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:49:49 -0500
On Nov 28, 2008, at 5:29 PM, steve sorenson wrote:

Still considering the whole "NBU or TSM" question...

I've read in the archives of this mailing list about a "DSMSERV
AUDITDB." I
understand that it's something that would be directed by support,
but it
looks like it would take a really long time if I do run it.

Why would support ever tell me to run it?

It may be warranted in a situation where damage may be wide-spread,
rather than in an isolated area where Support surgical tools may be
able to effect repair.  Most commonly, they would specify running an
audit of a limited kind, knowing that a full audit can be arduous.

Is this something that most TSM customers end up running?

No.  Database damage is often caused by not running according to the
safeguards documented in the Admin Guide manual.  Database
inconsistency can be caused by software defects.

  Richard Sims