ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Library manager v Gresham

2008-11-25 05:44:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Library manager v Gresham
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:42:59 +0100

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf
Of Alex Paschal
I don't know what Mark meant about inability to use the library due
resyncing TSM to Gresham.  I don't recall ever syncing TSM with EDT,
it
wasn't necessary since ACSLS was managing the library, but I suppose
there could be some other functionality I wasn't aware of.

When I worked for Customer X (two STK 9310s, EDT, and 10 instances of
TSM, there would be times when one or more TSM instances couldn't
use a
given tape drive because it couldn't sync with the EDT definition. In
order to get all the instances sync'd backed up, we had to shut down
all
tape operations, and run a Gresham utility on each instance to get the
sync back and running. A pain in the posterior...

I think you're saying that after upgrading one TSM server (system) the
TSM device driver had been upgraded and the drive definitions got
mixed up. In previous releases EDT lacked the right tools to quickly
find out which drive is which, you are right. Currently I find myself
building a customer specific script that builds a elm.conf from a
template and the output of `elm_match_device -d tsm -Z`, which works
great. Remember that in a TSM library manager situation, you'll find
yourself doing the exact same thing, but without the handy tools.

Come to think of it, EDT does provide some features that are a must-
have to Ian's customer that TSM just can't provide. It's a pity that
they are even spending time on reevaluating the choice for EDT.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT cdw DOT com)
CDW Berbee

--

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl