ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Library manager v Gresham

2008-11-24 14:52:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Library manager v Gresham
From: Alex Paschal <apaschal AT MSIINET DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:48:11 -0600
Last time I tried TSM -> ACSLS with a 5000 slot ACSLS-managed library,
TSM was very slow doing library "stuff".  Also, Q DRMEDIA and "Q LIBVOL"
was very slow as well, I'm not sure why.  We didn't have time to mess
around with it because we had to switch back to EDT to get back to
reasonable performance for production.  We didn't notice this in the
test environment because (I believe) we were using a small library.
This was about 4 years ago, so I don't know if this is still the case.

Things I liked about using EDT:
- Separate scratch pools - useful for different gen media or overly
uptight departments that refuse to allow "their" tapes to be reused by
other departments
- Not having to do TSM-based library sharing
- The ability to use mixed gen media on the same drive
- Not having to deal with "checkin/checkout libvol" (I had forgotten how
cumbersome this process was)
- Not having to stop all tape use to audit the library
- Scripting ejects/imports/scratching/auditing for our operations
personnel was easy with EDT

I don't know what Mark meant about inability to use the library due to
resyncing TSM to Gresham.  I don't recall ever syncing TSM with EDT, it
wasn't necessary since ACSLS was managing the library, but I suppose
there could be some other functionality I wasn't aware of.

I found using TSM/EDT/ACSLS to be a very nice combination.  The only
cons I can think of is the /slight/ learning curve and having to pay for
and support another piece of software.  I found Gresham support
responsive and knowledgeable.  To tell the truth, I wish IBM would use
an external library manager as well.  It's nice to have the basic
built-in library management functionality in TSM, but really, breaking
it out of TSM could bypass many of the shortcomings I find in TSM's
library management.

Alex Paschal
Storage Solutions Engineer
MSI Systems Integrators