ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] export/import nodes

2008-11-21 20:09:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] export/import nodes
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:08:40 -0500
> Yeah, but wouldn't that lead to an empty node in the target server? Of
> course I want to migrate the data, I just don't like the idea of
> copying ten tapes worth of data to a set of temporary tapes and then
> again to new storage pool tapes (I have not tried it yet, but I assume
> TSM doesn't just use the export tapes as stgpool tapes, right?), i

Well, if you do an export node server-to-server via IP, the data goes
directly to the stgpool on the target server.  You still have to move the
data, but you don't have to do it to sequential media.

> Imoprting the whole DB to a new server is also a nice hack, but I
> would like to start from scratch, since I'm planning an upgrade from
> prettyy ancient TSM version with DB that have lived for about eight
> years.

Well, if you want to start from scratch, that would be doing exports, so the
DB  is build as you go.

> BTW, I haven't heard or noticed before that TSM might not adhere
> collocation in case of running out of scratch volumes. Is that
> behavior version dependend? I believe everyone runs out of scratch
> volumes every now and then...

No, working as designed.  By "running out of scratch", I really meant
"unable to add a tape to the pool because the pool has already reached
maxscratch volumes".  All that collocation does is change the selection of
the output volume for a backup or process (migration, reclamation, etc).  If
TSM can't honor collocation, it keeps going uncollocated rather than fail
the process/backup.  Rough flowchart:

 If collocation is NONE, TSM chooses output tape:
 A: If there is a filling tape in the pool, use it
    If there is not a filling tape in the pool, and maxscratch not reached,
mount a scratch
    If there is not a filling tape in the pool, and maxscratch already
reached, fail

B: If collocation is NODE, TSM chooses output tape:
   If there is a filling tape in the pool with data already for this node,
use it
   If there is no filling tape in the pool with data for this node and
maxscratch not reached, mount a scratch
   If there is no filling tape in the pool with data for this node and
maxscratch reached, go to A: