ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] IBM 3200 Tape Library SAS adapters

2008-11-20 12:49:29
Subject: [ADSM-L] IBM 3200 Tape Library SAS adapters
From: Larry Peifer <Larry.Peifer AT SCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:48:34 -0800
We are in the process of purchasing an IBM 3200 Tape Library with 4 - LTO4
half-height SAS drives.  Our IBM sales rep and tech support rep are telling
us that we need 4 - 5912 HBAs, one for each drive, to support this
configuration in our IBM 9117-MMA (p570) host.

>From our review of the tech specs it looks like the 5912 Adapter (PCI-X DDR
Dual -x4 SAS Adapter) should be able to support all four SAS tape drives
from one card using 2- YO cables in the same way it can support 4 disk
drives.  Can anyone point us to someone or some docs that can give us more
information.

Larry Peifer
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station
AIX System Admin