ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] question on new dynamic encryption

2008-11-20 08:38:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] question on new dynamic encryption
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:36:48 +0100
Hi,
I have two questions on the newly dynamic encryption which comes
with 5.5. Client/Server and with the option 'encryptkey generate'

Is there any way for the client to proof/check if the data is encrypted or not ?
The only way we have found  -not to proof-  but just to realize that
something is happening with encryption is using the 'TESTFLAG INSTRUMENT:DETAIL'
and check for the value of 'Frequency used'/'Encryption' in the
dsminstr.report.xx-file.
Nice would be something in the dsmsched.log like 'Objects compressed by:'
for example something like 'Objects encrypted: '  ... but maybe there is
something ?

The other question is  -just to be sure- is there nothing but the
node-password necessary to have encryted data restored ?
Example: doing encrypted backup on a solaris-node - Can I expect to
restore/decrypt that data without any problem on a linux-system using the
nodename/password of the solaris node (all nodes using the same
tsm-Client-version) ?

thanks
rainer

Rainer Wolf                          eMail:       rainer.wolf AT uni-ulm DOT de
kiz - Abt. Infrastruktur           Tel/Fax:      ++49 731 50-22482/22471
Universitaet Ulm                     wwweb:        http://kiz.uni-ulm.de