ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Tape throughput troubleshooting?

2008-11-10 13:52:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Tape throughput troubleshooting?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:51:00 -0500
Howdy, all.

I'm wondering if any of you have war stories on the topic of tape
throughput debugging.  I've got some confusing things happening here,
and I'm looking for ideas.  Take this as a caveat for the
long-distance virtual volumes, if you swing that way. :)

This is all AIX, for starters.

I've measured single stream traffic to my remote site 350 miles away
at 60-80MB/s over and over again.  Recently, though, I've been seeing
several hour periods in which a given stream is limited to 15M/s.  Or,
it seems that way: 3 streams bobble around in the vicinity or 45M/s, 2
wander around in the vicinity of 30.

This is during times when the source machine and the destination
machine are both significantly idle, 50% or more.  So it's not a gross
'box is busy' thing.

It includes periods when I'm sending single large files on all the
streams, so it's not database contention for recording the ongoing
copies.

I can get straight network traffic (iperf) to fill the Gb connection
without a problem, so it's not a bottleneck in the intervening net.

Unfortunately, that leaves me with the Great Trackless Waste of TSM:
tape performance analysis.  Ugh.

I'm at the spot where I'm considering going Windows and just
restarting the things.  Ick.

- Allen S. Rout