ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to delete volumes??

2008-11-10 12:34:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to delete volumes??
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:33:40 -0600
A fast way that I have used is to rename the filespaces, and then the
next backup will be a new, full backup, into new filespaces which will
have the original names.

This gets you doing the new backups fast, while you can use DELETE
FILESPACE to get rid of the old backups in the old filespaces at the
same time as the new backups are running. Although DELETE FILESPACE can
be slow, you can run it at the same time as backups. (However, a running
DELETE FILESPACE process will prevent reclamation from starting.)

DELETE FILESPACE is a final process. It does not wait for expiration.
Once you delete all the filespaces that had data on a volume, that
volume is deleted automatically after the reuse delay expires. (So if
you delete all data on a volume, but the volume doesn't get deleted,
check to see if it's in PENDING status.)

DELETE VOLUME is not recommended due to the chance you might
accidentally delete data from some other nodes - even if collocation is
in effect. If that happens, and you still have data left on volumes you
wanted to empty, you can let normal reclamation finish the job and get
the remaining data off those volumes.

======== "Whether you think you can or can not, you are right." ========