ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 count mismatch

2008-11-07 14:01:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 count mismatch
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 13:59:47 -0500
-----Fred Johanson wrote: -----

>The control panel on our TS3500 reports library full with 1408
>volumes.  4 are cleaning cartridges, so there should be 1404 volumes
>in TSM.  But
>
>Select count(volume_name) from libvolumes
>
>Returns 1381, leaving 23 unaccounted for.  The Web gui shows no
>unassigned volumes, so where are the missing volumes?  We asked our
>CE if there was anything he knew that could account for this.  He
>said no.  We asked if there was any way we could dump the inventory
>to EXCEL or something so we could compare it with the libvolumes
>output. He said no.

My site has a 3494, but we will have to work with a 3584 or TS3500
at our next disaster recovery test. One of the Web sites I found
while researching 3584 behavior indicates that a Unix command like:

IBMtapeutil -f /dev/IBMchanger0 inventory

will return a human-readable list of volumes with groups of lines
like:

Slot Address 4096
Slot State ..................... Normal
Media Present .................. Yes
Robot Access Allowed ........... Yes
Source Element Address ......... 4096
Media Inverted ................. No
Volume Tag ..................... ABA920L1

'IBMtapeutil' is the name of the mainframe Linux version of the
utility. I think it is called 'tapeutil' on some of the other
platforms for which 3584 device drivers are available.