ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] IBM TS3310 vs IBM TS3200

2008-10-22 09:21:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] IBM TS3310 vs IBM TS3200
From: Ben Bullock <BBullock AT BCIDAHO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:20:32 -0600
We just replaced our 3584 with a 3200. We also run TSM on AIX. The reason for
the change was to go from LTO2 to LTO4 to get more capacity and the hardware
Encryption. Working great so far (1 month in service). We have it all plugged
into 2Gb FC switches, so we are not getting the 4Gb out of the drives, but we
work with what we have, eh? The library works great. Very simple interface, not
too many buttons to push or knobs to twist. Encryption is working great.

        We went for the 3200 because we really didn't need the expandability of
the 3310, but wanted the 44 tape slots in the 3200. The reason for not needing
the expandability is that we migrated 94% of our data on tape to a DataDomain
580 over the last 6 months, so all we need the tapes for is data that's very
non-compressible (not a good fit for the DD) or very non-critical.