ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Volume Verification between 2 different Tape Machine

2008-10-20 19:07:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Volume Verification between 2 different Tape Machine
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:53:54 +1100
Yes Martin,

It is easy to run TSM under another user than root.  Be aware that SAN
discovery functions will not be available at 5.4 server using another ID -
I believe this restriction is lifted under 5,5, but the consequences are
not severe.

Here we TSM admins are not permitted root access, and run ALL AIX and linux
instances under another id.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris, TSM Admin
Sydney Australia

             Martin Panggabean
             <martin.panggabea
             n AT NIAGAPRIMA DOT COM>
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     [ADSM-L] Tape Volume Verification
                                       between 2 different Tape Machine

             20/10/2008 11:52
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hi TSM Community,

This might be unusual strategy to test data condition on tape we backup and
I'm looking a way to simplify this.

We have two different location where we put our servers. One server act as
primary or active server and the other one is a standby server which will
be
activated once on the primary location failed to run. Both server installed
TSM Server and each server has its own Library Device. What we want to do
here is to verify what we backup on the primary server to the standby
server. The problem is we are going to let a user with less privilege on
permission to do this activity on the standby server, in other words, the
user will not be privileged with root permission to access this standby
server.  The sequence on tape verification is:

Backup TSM DB on primary server after all data backup has been done. And
then we send the TSMDB tape volume both with the data volume which we want
to verify its condition and its data. Next, we send the two volumes to the
other location where the standby server located, restore the TSM DB, do
device configuration and audit the data volume.

We successfully doing this things manually using root access. Now, we want
to make it simple so operator can do this. The problem is we can't restore
the TSM DB and start the TSM Server using other than root user. My question
are:

1.       Does TSM able to run this not using root user ?

2.       Is there another way to verify these data tapes other than the
method I use ?

Best Regards,

Martin Panggabean

Technical Consultant