ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] WIndows2003 VSS errors

2008-10-17 11:05:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] WIndows2003 VSS errors
From: Mark Stapleton <Mark.Stapleton AT CDW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:03:56 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf
Of Crosskey, Adam - Corporate Core - ICT Services
> I have a solution it seems.
> Microsoft KB940184 details repairing corruption to a registry key
> concerned with the vss writes.
> If you are suffering from VSS errors during TSM backups (and when the
> Scheduler starts), and get no output from the VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS
> command at the windows cmd line, follow the instructions in KB940184.
> I only had to complete the first step (although the COM+ service hung
> and I needed to reboot) to resolve the issue.

...and herein lies a lesson that we learn when we work with TSM.

Because TSM uses naught but vendor APIs when working with an OS, the
vast majority of problems we have with backups (though not all,
certainly) lay with issues within the OS or hardware--not TSM itself.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT cdw DOT com)
CDW Berbee