ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup order

2008-10-14 11:10:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup order
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:08:54 -0500
The best I can remember you can't "migrate" into a copypool.

However, I would highly recommend, *depending on your environment*, to
do these tasks during the day instead.   I would assume your clients all
do their backups at night, therefore doing these backup processes during
the day gives the TSM server a little more time to commit to them.

You can run 1 and 3 simultaneously, and then run 2 giving it all the
time it needs.  However, there are other solutions.
Here are some reasons why the example solution below may not help you:
1.  If you do not have any data getting backed up directly to the
tapepool, and you have no migration processes that auto kick off during
the night/day then I'd wonder why the tapepool -> copypool process is
taking so long.
2.  In your proposed solution you are not running a backup of the
tapepool, and therefore that data will never go offsite.
3.  Once you "backup" all the data to a copypool from the VTLpool there
would be no reason to "migrate" it to the same location, and as I said
above I don't believe you can "migrate" into a copy pool anyway.

I guess the main question here is what problem are you trying to solve,
and what is happing that's making this an issue?  (errors, failed
backups, etc.).

See Ya'
Howard