ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Archiving with TSM

2008-10-06 12:08:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Archiving with TSM
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:07:04 -0700
Francoise BERLIN wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to have an image of my servers each month .At the beginning I wanted
> to do it with the function backupset but I have a network appliance and with
> it it's not possible.I have contacted the support and they recommended me the
> functionality archive with TSM :to create a storage pool archive and to have
> a schedule each month .Is somebody have an experience about this function and
> about the performance of this function ?In global I have 2T of datas and I
> must have an achive of that each month .

We don't do regular archives, but my experience with archives (and with
TSM in general) is that the software itself isn't limited by the size of
the data, but by the number of files. If you're backing up a single 2TB
file, you'll be limited by network bandwidth and storage performance. If
you're backing up tens of millions of files in that 2TB, you'll be
largely by your database performance.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354