ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] stdio and baclient?

2008-10-01 16:12:34
Subject: [ADSM-L] stdio and baclient?
From: "Conway, Timothy" <Timothy.Conway AT JBSSA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:10:04 -0600
I've searched carefully, but maybe I've failed to come up with good
search strings, so in case anybody knows of some non-intuitive options,
or maybe even a small third-party interface through the API...

I've got data sets that I need to retain for 53 weeks as complete
copies.  They're copies of informix databases - about 1GB per copy.
gzip significantly beats TSM compression, and I could cut the number of
objects to keep in the database by 389%, but I can't count on having
room for a tempfile
I'd like do something like this:

tar -cf - carma.dbs |gzip -9|dsmc ar $PLANT.`date +%Y%m%d$H`.db.tar.gz
-filehandle=0 -archmc=plant_53week

Instead of this:

tar -cf - carma.dbs |gzip -9>$PLANT.`date +%Y%m%d$H`.db.tar.gz;dsmc ar
$PLANT.`date +%Y%m%d$H`.db.tar.gz -archmc=plant_53week -filesonly
-deletefiles

I figure I'm just smoking crack, but might as well ask.

73,

Tim Conway
sysadmin, TSM admin
Swift & Company