ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NBU user considering switch to TSM

2008-09-29 18:59:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NBU user considering switch to TSM
From: steve sorenson <nbu.user AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:58:42 -0700
Paul Zarnowski said:

>> 1. He could make simultaneous copies during the initial backup, but not
>> during migration and while copying to the copy pool.
>>

> TSM can migrate from random-access disk to serial (tape), simultaneously
> copying to the copy pool(s).  I don't have first-hand experience with this,
> but plan to soon.

I was referring to the feature of creating two copies of one set of data
simultaneously.  NBU calls this Inline Tape Copy, where NBU takes one backup
stream and "twins" it, sending one stream to one device and another stream
to another device.  It can do this either during the initial backup, or when
copying backups after the backup is done, like when you're migrating data or
making copies to go offsite.  The point is to read the data and transfer it
in memory only one time, but have two copies when you're done.  I was told
that TSM had a similar feature, but that it could only do this during the
initial backup, not when copying data.  Do I understand this feature
correctly?

> Not at all.  Good luck with your analysis.  One of the best things about
> TSM is the community of users that has developed over the years.

Yeah, I'm pretty used to the NBU community and am glad to see that there's
one behind TSM as well.