ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VMware and TSM Backup - Survey

2008-09-27 19:54:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VMware and TSM Backup - Survey
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:52:51 -0400
I just got back from Sterling Forest, NY. We did a small D/R test on our
system. We started using VCB to backup or VM's and today I think we decided
to try another method or a combination. I'm just the TSM-guy and didn't
realize that to recover a VM is a 2-step process. You first restore the
file(s) from TSM to the VCB server. Then you have to copy/convert them back
over to the VMware storage. As an example...we have a fairly large SQLServer
box and the image was 180GB. It took just over an hour to restore it from
TSM, but then the conversion/copy process was going to take another 2+
hours. We also did a small 16GB VM and that only took 25-min to
convert/copy. Maybe 3-4 hours for a recovery is acceptable, but we felt not.

We will be investigating other avenues to backup or VM's. Maybe use VCB for
the smaller ones and revert back to the other method of using the API and
backing them up from the VMware console.

Bill Boyer
" INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY." - ??