ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Windows GUI - unusably slow

2008-09-26 15:26:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Windows GUI - unusably slow
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:25:13 -0400
-----Zoltan Forray wrote: -----

>We have come upon a strange issue with the Windows GUI client.
>
>It takes 10+ minutes to transition from startup to each screen.
>
>>From the time you click to start it up, it takes 10-minutes before
>you get the login prompt.  Then is jumps in immediately.  If you go
>to the setup wizard to configure the dsm.opt file, it takes another
>10-minutes before that process starts up.
>
>We have completely deleted/ripped out the GUI/TSM client, twice.
>The server shows little to no activity. CPU and network I/O is nill.
>
>Once it connects to the TSM server, the session simply goes into a
>wait. Bytes transfered as also nill (< 1k)
>
>We have tried killing all antivirus.....rebooted.....etc
>
>We have tried the latest client (5.5.1.1) as well as going back to a
>5.4 client.
>
>Any thoughts/suggestions?

I remember a problem at one of our DR tests that caused a system to
pause for 15 seconds every time it did a DNS lookup. It turned out
that the first name server listed in the network configuration was
not working properly. Each DNS request to the malfunctioning name
server timed out after 15 seconds, at which point the system
contacted the second name server listed and got a response in a
few milliseconds. I don't know whether it would be possible for a
more severe version of this problem to cause 10 minute waits.
it