ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Resourceutilization allows more tape mounts than

2008-09-25 11:15:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Resourceutilization allows more tape mounts than
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:12:58 -0400
On Sep 25, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Schneider, John wrote:

Richard,
        We don't use the DIRMc option, because our policies are simple
enough that the default management class is the right place to put the
directories, and they all go to the same media, which in this case is
virtual tape.

John -

If the default management class is your only management class, then
directories will go where you expect.  But, in the presence of
multiple management classes and absence of DIRMc, it is not the case
that directories inherently go to the default management class: the
TSM architectural convention is that they go to the management class
where the copy group RETOnly value, basically speaking.  (You can
perform some 'dsmc query backup' commands on directories of interest,
to verify current bindings.)

At least one other customer finds this condition, so if your
investigation bears fruit, you'll get the gold star.  :-)

   Richard Sims