ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Fw: Request for Backup Success Metrics

2008-09-12 09:31:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fw: Request for Backup Success Metrics
From: James F Griggs <James_Griggs AT FREDDIEMAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:29:42 -0400
We run approximately 35,000 backup schedules each month.  Month after
month, 99.80%+ of the backup schedules are completed successfully.

About one-third of our scheduled backups are for non-production servers.
We are contemplating the creation of two different service levels:  One
for production servers with a target of 100% success; and another for
non-production servers at some other value (we haven't figured that out
yet).

What are your experiences, metrics, recommendations, and thoughts on the
subject?  Feel free to contact me directly at james_griggs AT freddiemac DOT com
if you have a need for confidentiality -- it will be respected.