ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.2.9: Migration from AIX to SuSE Linux

2008-09-11 09:32:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.2.9: Migration from AIX to SuSE Linux
From: "Conway, Timothy" <tim.conway AT JBSSWIFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:30:44 -0600
You've got to do the local storage yourself, and have that ready to
receive the filedata.  The only things that can be brought over by the
exports are things that are platform-independent.  Having the system
guess what libraries, volumes, paths, drives, filesystems, disks,
whatever it's supposed to use is just too much to guess.   Perhaps if
you were to define device classes and it would transfer stgpools that
use matching devclass names, but even that's just a guess, so they
haven't written it.  That's another good reason for my own plan of doing
a pure metadata server export, following it with node exports.  Once the
nodes and policies are defined on the destination, I set dest for each
domain as desired.  Then, I make copies of the domains with dest set to
go direct to a sequential pool (no point importing them into DISK and
then migrating right away), and set each node to those temporary domains
for the duration of the node import, then move the node to the correct
domain at the same time I change the node's dsm.sys and dsm.opt.

If the destination has all the same device names and such, you COULD
create your devclasses.  Pull your PLAN and make the macro.  But really,
it's just not very hard to do it by hand.