ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How does VCB backups handle resource utilization?

2008-09-10 17:55:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How does VCB backups handle resource utilization?
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:54:26 -0500
Ok, now we are getting down to the nitty gritty.  Your example
completely contradicts what is in the Performance Guide, which provides
a table which I reproduce below.  I hope email doesn't mess up the
columns.  It looks correct to me, I assure you.  :-)

RESOURCEUTILIZATION value    Maximum number   Unique number of
Threshold
                             of sessions      producer sessions
(seconds)
1                              1                   0               45
2                              2                   1               45
3                              3                   1               45
4                              3                   1               30
5                              4                   2               30
6                              4                   2               20
7                              5                   2               20
8                              6                   2               20
9                              7                   3               20
10                             8                   4               10
0 (default)                    2                   1               30

A Resourceutil of 4 is a max of three sessions, and only one "producer"
session, i.e. a tape mount.  A Resourceutil of 5 is required for 2 tape
mounts, and so on.  If my client maxnummp=2, then a resourceutil of 4
should not overrun it.

UNLESS... either the manual is wrong and the algorithm is not what is
stated.  Or does the algorithm work differently in a Lan-free client
situation?  We have another Lan-free client in a different TSM
environment, and we used to have a Resourceutil of 10  for a certain
client there, and I would swear there were times when I saw 8 tape
mounts.  (The client maxnummp must have been high enough to permit
this).  So does Resourceutil really work like the table above, or do
Lan-free clients or proxynode clients operate under a different set of
rules?  Anyone able to enlighten me?

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider