ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] How does VCB backups handle resource utilization?

2008-09-10 11:36:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] How does VCB backups handle resource utilization?
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:34:43 -0500
Greetings,
    We are running TSM 5.4.3.0 server on AIX 5.3ML5.  The Lan-free VCB
proxy is running TSM client 5.5.0.6.
    We are getting an unexpected result with our VMWare Consolidated
Backups.  We are just starting to run these in volume, and we are
getting frequent messages:

09/10/08 00:02:06     ANR0539W Transaction failed for session 4448 for
node
                       EPCEMI11. This node has exceeded its maximum
number of
                       mount points. (SESSION: 4448)

09/10/08 00:02:06     ANR0539W Transaction failed for session 4449 for
node
                       EPCSTL11. This node has exceeded its maximum
number of
                       mount points. (SESSION: 4449)

09/10/08 00:02:07     ANR0539W Transaction failed for session 4439 for
node
                       EPCSGF01RO. This node has exceeded its maximum
number of
                       mount points. (SESSION: 4439)

09/10/08 00:02:07     ANR0539W Transaction failed for session 4444 for
node
                       EPCSGF01RO. This node has exceeded its maximum
number of
                       mount points. (SESSION: 4444)

The destination storage pool is a virtual tape library, which is why
mount points are involved.

In the Lan-free proxy server running VCB, the Resourceutilization is set
to 4, and the maximum mount points is 8.  On the proxy clients
themselves, I understand they inherit the Resourceutilization of the
proxy server, so they would be 4 also.  Their maximum mount points is
set to 2.  When Resourceutilization is 4, aren't the maximum mount
points of 2 enough?   According to the Performance Tuning Guide,
Resourceutilization of 4 should not allow more than one mounted tape.

We aren't getting the error for all clients, just a fraction of them.
So maybe it is only happening for larger clients where the
Resourceutilization algorithm to mount another tape kicks in?   We could
always just jack the maximum mount points for the clients up and up
until the problem goes away, but I don't understand why the client is
trying to mount more than 2 tapes with Resourceutilization set to 4.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Lead Systems Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health Systems
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO  63127
Phone: 314-364-3150
Cell: 314-750-8721
Email:  John.Schneider AT Mercy DOT net

This e-mail contains information which (a) may be PROPRIETARY IN NATURE OR
OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) is intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the addressee, or the
person responsible for delivering this to the addressee(s), you are notified
that reading, copying or distributing this e-mail is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately.