ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Cross Site Vaulting

2008-09-05 20:44:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] Cross Site Vaulting
From: Mark Scott <MScott AT BUNNINGS.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 08:42:47 +0800
Good Morning

                   I am looking for direction on which way to go. We are
in the process of setting up cross site vaulting and not 100% sure on
how to incorporate both nodes and libraries to share the libraries.

I assume the most efficient way would be to have a library manager
instance that controls both libraries from our remote site? If we were
to loose the library manager we would then configure the libraries to
each LPAR to manage their own libraries? Also consider library
partitioning.

Our implementation has a restricted budget where as we are attempting to
set this up with existing infrastructure besides a couple of new 595
LPARS.

An overview of what we have is x2 3584's one with an expansion and the
other as standalone. A CWDM link with a 8gb trunked link over 15klm's
and two 595 LPARS 1 cpu and 8gb mem. Two HBA's for disk and four HBA's
for tape drives.  Prod data will go across the wire to our non prod site
which will have our prod backup server and vice versa.

We are limited to 4 drive slots in the smaller frame library and have 4
LTO3 drives and 9 LTO2 drives in total to manage the data.

We are planning on using two LTO3 and two LTO2 drives in the smaller
library which will hold prod primary storage pool data and the rest in
the non prod library. As the restriction of the size of the prod library
we are only planning on copying prod data across sites and copying non
prod data within the non prod library. Currently hold approximately
200TB's backed up data across two servers.

The current two instances are 5.5.1 and all associated clients.

Can someone point me to a doco or have a similar experience? I have been
trawling through redbooks and google is my friend.

Look forward to any responses

Regards

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)     This email is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and
delete the document.

2)     All emails sent to and sent from Bunnings Group Limited.
are scanned for content.  Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all
parties concerned.