ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] inactivate TDP SQL transaction logs?

2008-09-05 12:49:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] inactivate TDP SQL transaction logs?
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:48:16 -0400
Hi Lisa,

SQL Server log truncation is different than Oracle and even
Exchange Server. Just because you truncate the logs, doesn't necessarily
mean that you recapture the physical disk space.
Please read this article, it explains it fully. It is a good read:

        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa174524(SQL.80).aspx

You will see this statement:
        "Shrinking a log is dependent on first truncating the log. "

Data Protection for SQL will "truncate" the logs (unless you tell it not
to).
If you are concerned about shrinking, the article above should help you.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 09/05/2008
12:15:01 PM: